best architects 10
St. Boniface church was completed in 1958. During the nineties the construction defects that had appeared over the years couldn’t be overlooked any longer. During the course of the obligatory refurbishment the architects gave the church interior a new concept so a denser and more direct atmosphere could be achieved without giving up the original room. The nave was separated from the choir with a wall so that a large area for services with 300 people and a smaller area for prayer with 50 people were created. The spatial arrangement stays visible through joints but the church interior is pulled together to a whole by connecting white, which transports the idea of the transcendent and the immaterial as a space made of light. The floor is covered in white terrazzo, the walls with plain painted plaster. The benches are made of wood, painted white. The altar – designed by Wolfgang Eckert – was sanctified 16th June 2007.