Erweiterung Kantonsschulen Rychenberg und Im Lee
best architects 09
Winterthur | Schweiz
The cantonal school Im Lee was built from 1926 – 28 by the brothers Pfister in the monumental style of the times and is classified as a historical monument today. In its direct vicinity, the cantonal school Rychenberg, which is also listed, was erected between 1960 and 1963 by Erik Lanter in the tradition of Corbusian style. To the west of this area, an addition with special rooms and canteen was constructed in 1990 by the architects Stutz und Bolt. Adding an adequate house to this ensemble of charismatic buildings represented the challenge of this task. The room plan – consisting of a triple gymnasium with a weights and gymnastics room, a media library for 150 users, a music-room wing with two lecture rooms and a hall for musical events, 11 classrooms and underground parking space for 500 bicycles – is organized on a narrow, still unexploited strip of land between the school premises and the sports field. The whole urban composition, matured in several decades, is enriched by a new, singularly pitched voice that is embedded harmoniously into the existing context.